The Parish Hall is maintained and administered by Sedgefield Town Council. The building was founded in 1849 as the Mechanics Institute but later rebuilt as an Institute of Literature and Science. It was then re-purposed as the Parish Hall and Town Clerk’s office.
In 2007, a public consultation exercise was carried out in the community to decide upon the specification of the Parish Hall Refurbishment. In 2008, the work was completed and a grand-reopening introduced the Parish Hall back into the community. The stage facilities were improved and new lighting and sound systems were installed to supply the community with a high-quality performance venue. The kitchen, toilet and bar facilities were also revamped to provide the perfect setting for any event.
In 2017/18 a further renovation was undertaken, refurbishing the Fletcher Room and adjoining office to create a self-contained, modern community area with its own dedicated kitchen and serving hatch. Alongside this project, other areas of the building were also modernised, with redecoration and new flooring in the bar/foyer area, new lighting, new tables and chairs in the Fletcher Room and much-needed work to the drainage and flooring in the downstairs toilets.
The Hall is now home to many of Sedgefield’s most cherished community groups and events, with everything from the Sedgefield Veterans, Women’s Institute and DIDO to weekly exercises classes, baby groups, community performances and outstanding live music. All groups are encouraged and welcomed.
As it is now some time since the Parish Hall has been refurbished, the Estates Working Group have made it their priority to regularly review all aspects of the Parish Hall, and where required, undertake further improvements. We will keep you up to date with this through the website and the Sedgefield Extra.