!! Cold Caller Warning !!
Durham Trading Standards have become aware of cold callers trying to sell goods on the doorstep in various areas of the County. In some cases, their approach has been persistent, causing both upset and annoyance.
While it is not an offence to simply cold call, we would always urge residents to be extremely cautious when dealing with unsolicited visitors.
Some top tips to keep yourself and others safe:
- DON’T accept uninvited callers
- DON’T be afraid to say ‘No’
- DON’T be rushed or feel pressured. Genuine traders will always be happy to return when a friend or family member is present
- DO keep an eye on your area and especially vulnerable neighbours. Has work started unexpectedly on their homes? Is the work visibly poor or been left unfinished? Is the person anxious about what has happened? Has a trader accompanied them to the bank?
- DO report suspicious cold callers to the Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 11 33 or to the police on 101
Learn more about how to protect yourself and others from scams by becoming a Friend Against Scams at: http://www.FriendsAgainstScams.org.uk/elearning/durham
Follow Durham Trading Standards on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/durhamts for updates on local scams affecting your community, consumer awareness campaigns and top tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of a scammer.
The situation regarding COVID-19 continues to be fast changing and following the introduction of more stringent local restrictions across the North East from Friday 18th September 2020, the Parish Hall has once again been closed to the public. We are in contact with all our regular groups and intend to get the hall re-opened as soon as permitted in full compliance with government guidelines.
We would like to express our thanks to all our regular Parish Hall users and others who have expressed an interest in the hall. Your cooperation and understanding during this time have been much appreciated and we look forward to a time where we can welcome you all back under more familiar circumstances.